Sunday, October 2, 2016

A Bag of Popcorn



I was hanging out in front of the TV in Amer Zahr’s house watching the news with him and his friends


 I was the finest bag of Orville Redenbacher popcorn and CNN had breaking news. 


This breaking news, as it often does, involved terrorism, and this terrorism had to somehow involve Arabs. 


This may just seem like a standard occurrence to you, but as a bag of popcorn observing society, I find this quality truly unique. For instance, if somehow I land up next to a piece of white popcorn even though I’m a piece of yellow popcorn we can still get along just fine, because in the end, we are both pieces of popcorn. For humans on the other hand, once one terrorist organization has been established by radial Islamists, suddenly every other act of terrorism has to be caused by them. As Amer said himself, “we are able to be in news stories even when news stories have absolutely nothing to do with us.” I think this ability to invent hate where there is none to be found is sickening. It is disgraceful that an Arab man going to an airport has to make sure that he trimmed his beard the night before. It is awful that one of the most consequential presidents in American history can only be remembered by some for his middle name being Hussein. As just a mere bag of popcorn quietly watching your society, I can see these problems so why can’t your government? There is a clear racial divide in this country that needs to be healed. Although this mission towards progress may seem daunting, it must begin somewhere. As Lao Tzu said, "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." 

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of popcorn criticizing human society, especially the tone in the sentence about white and yellow popcorn. The transition from this to the discussion about discrimination caught me off guard. To think that even popcorn are so harshly criticizing us...This really conveys the absurdity of our problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you used the colors to emphasize the racial discrimination that happens! Very creative. Also, great use to media in your post; it really strengthens your argument! I completely agree on how society invents hate and alienates those that are just as American as the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shankar!
    Love your post. I like how you compared humanity to popcorn. You started this crucial topic in a lighter manner, which caught my attention. Your use of the video and real life examples exemplified your argument on this world issue. Also, I cannot agree more with Lao Tzu's quote. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shankar! I loved your post! I like how you used popcorn to harshly criticize society is a more subtle way. I really loved your analogy with the white and yellow pieces of popcorn. It really caught my attention and clearly conveyed your point. I also liked how you used real life examples to strengthen your augment.

    ReplyDelete