Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Basket of Veggies

Fred was passed out on the ground and drooling in deep slumber as he probably dreamt about rocks, sticks, and other caveman things. I was resting in my basket as I listened to his deep breathing and thought about how I was stuck in a society full of idiots and yet somehow these idiots managed to keep eating me.

Fred himself has to keep saying yabba-dabba-doo over and over like a baby. 

His wife, Wilma is the most irresponsible woman ever and their daughter is the most mischievous little girl I’ve ever met. How am I expected to function when I am surrounded by these intellectually inept people who cannot possibly understand the thoughts I am able to verbalize? Eventually, Fred woke up and began to stumble around the cave like an oaf when he picked up a stick and started to scratch one of the walls with it. At first, I thought he was just making some noise to keep himself entertained, but then I saw that he was creating art. He had drawn a picture of him and his family in their home which was something I had never expected him to be capable of. 

Not only was his art nice to look at, it also created a sense of emotion in the viewer that I wouldn’t have thought he could understand. Looking at that picture, I felt a sense of contentedness and community that I would not be able to verbalize. I then realized that “a huge range of human experiences can be portrayed … through either words or pictures” (McCloud 152). Despite what I thought, Fred was actually a smart man and I should not have looked down upon him for only being able to express his thoughts through pictures. Just because pictures are seen as childish, they are not a lower form of communication; in fact, they contain a plethora of emotions. The perception that in order to be intellectual, an idea itself needs to be hard to comprehend is very wrong. In fact, the opposite is true, the most intellectual ideas are those that can be understood simply and contain deep thought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment