Sunday, October 9, 2016

An Apple in the Fruit Bowl of Life

Before the Fruit Party:
I have so much to do today. I have to go to my stem-trimming appointment, I have to get my skin shined, I have to clean my worms out, and I have to get my leaves looking their best. 

Today is my big day. It’s the annual fruit party where all the fruit in the bowl come together and have one of the greatest evenings ever. Tonight, I’m going to dance with Miss Pear (hopefully), who is the most amazing fruit on the planet because she’s the captain of the Fruitennis team, an expert on nuclear fruition, and the most beautiful fruit in the world. Even if it’s only for one song, that’s okay, I just have to dance with her.  


After the Fruit Party:

I’m home and I’m tired and dejected. I didn’t get to dance with Miss Pear. Instead, Mr. Avocado got to dance with her. Just because he has one stupid tattoo, suddenly all the fruits love him.


I’m just as good as him, yet no one seems to see that. Hm, maybe Miss Pear is just too good for me, and I shouldn’t expect her to dance with me, I guess it’s her decision to dance with who she wants Maybe Mr. Banana, Mr. Orange, and Mr. Kiwi wanted to dance with Miss Pear and they are feeling the same way I do. Maybe Mr. Avocado didn't intend to hurt me and I shouldn't be mad at him. Maybe there was some fruit out there who wanted to dance with me but because I was so focused on my goal of getting Ms. Pear to dance with me, I didn’t notice her. These outcomes may be unlikely, but they are definitely “not impossible” (Wallace).  All of us, as a fruit population must learn to not think about ourselves and instead think about those around us as well. I can’t only think about myself with regards to this party, I need to consider the feelings of others involved. This “natural, basic self-centeredness” is so “repulsive” although “it’s pretty much the same for all of us” (Wallace).  After all, aren't we all just apples in the fruit bowl of life?


6 comments:

  1. Wow Shankar!

    What an insightful and thoughtful post. I love the way in which you are able to use symbolism and create such intriguing thought even from the viewpoint of an apple. Look forward to reading your futures posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shankar, this was a really funny and interesting way of capturing the purpose of Wallace's speech "This Is Water". I like how you personified the apple to have the "default setting" so many of us have in our self-centered nature. Understanding other people's views and thoughts is just as important as understanding our own thoughts. Looking forward to see what perspective you take next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, I liked the tone of the piece. Also, I loved the occasion of this post, on homecoming weekend. You emulated exactly what Wallace would have thought in the apple's position. Overall, nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shankar! I really liked how you played off of David Foster Wallace's short fable introduction to his speech. I found it very intriguing that one could develop such a powerful thought from just the viewpoint of an apple. I really enjoyed reading this post and I look forward to reading more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shankar!
    Again, I really love reading your blogs!
    Just like what Rohit said, I loved how you were playing off of Wallace's short fable and you were successful in doing this because of your tone. You always have different tones for each of your blogs and it really suits each of the blogs well. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete