Sunday, February 5, 2017

Life of a Lobster

I was just sitting there all alone. All of my other friends had already left, gallivanting off with some guy who did not want me. Then, from across the room a man pointed at me; I was scared, and I felt like an object to him - not something that was alive and breathing. I had heard the stories about what happens when a stranger approaches you, picks you up, and takes you home.  I could hope that maybe he would be a nice guy, but I knew that in the end they all had the same motives. The man came up and paid for me and I was removed from my safe tank and put into a small bag. I resigned myself to the fact that this man did not care about where I came from or even what my name was (it’s Larry by the way).

            I could hear laughter and there was a sense of impending doom that came over me as I realized it was close to the end. As they set me down, I heard a bubbling noise and when I looked down I saw boiling water. In that instant, I knew that I had come to death’s door. In that instant, I thought about how my whole life I was kept for show and how I had never experienced true freedom. In that instant, I knew that the humans did not care for my pain; they only cared about their "pleasure." In that instant, I realized the worst of humanity was out to get me. Their guiltless greed and lack of compassion towards me is what ended my short life. In the future, I hope that my people will not just be seen as pieces of meat ready for eating, but rather animals with real thoughts and feelings. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shankar,
    I like how you portrayed the perspective of a lobster in this horrible, tragic narrative. I think there should be a better way to prepare lobster. Boiling them seems cruel. I guess all lobsters really can do now a days is spend their days Livin Like Larry before they too are eaten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, you took a very creative and abstract outlook on the topic. I really liked how you used lobster to convey your message. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shankar. I liked how you used a narrative mode to convey your thoughts just as Manning had in his essay. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shankar, I really liked your post this time because of your implication that the worst of humanity isn't in our purposeful cruelness but in our careless destruction. Nice insight!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete