Sunday, November 27, 2016

Caviar

How much do you make? What kind of car do you own? How big is your house? These questions paint a picture of one of the most important qualities in modern society. Status. Status alone can determine several aspects of our lives, such as where we study, the people we know, and the food we eat.  

Since I am caviar, this social hierarchy is very visible to me.

I am seen as a symbol of wealth because only the rich have the privilege of enjoying me. However, even among caviar there is a hierarchy; Almas caviar is more expensive than American caviar. Thus, a hierarchy breeds more hierarchies. For instance, if I have a mansion, there most likely will be someone else with a superior mansion. Despite my wealth, I will be saddened at the fact that what I have is not the best and I will desire the mobility to move upwards and have a better mansion. This proves humanity's desire to constantly have more and never be satisfied and reveals that "all they think of is money." This mentality leads to those at the top of the scale not being able to relate to those below them. All of us are supposed to created equal (s/o to Neil Garg), yet we are not. The environment in which we are born in can shape the rest of our lives. Some may argue that despite where we are born, our destiny is entirely in our hands. However, this is not true because there are so many factors that we do not have control over, such as the education available in the area or the presence of community leaders. Status by definition is a social construct because it depends on the status of those around you. The class divides that exist among both humans and food must be decreased if we are to have an equal society.  

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Shankar. I really like how you talked about how status is a social construct because in society not all of us have the same privileges and opportunities, creating this divide among us. In The Great Gatsby, they valley of ashes shows how as the rich get richer the poor get poorer marking a huge divide among the status of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the parallel you drew! It was very creative- great post!

    ReplyDelete